Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The 88 temples pilgrimage of Shikoku - last day (Day 8)

Today is the day I'm going to head back. But before I think about how to return (as I said, no trains here, and the local buses don't cover a big distance) I try to visit one more temple, no. 26.
The city surrounding temple no. 25 is vivid as it seems to be a more or less important harbor city. All over the place there are fish shops that dry their fish in front of their shop on the street.

I head out of the city passing fields and finally reach the woods again. The last climb... is there a rule that temple have to be always on places that make them uncomfortable to reach? Don't they want people to come there? But I like the path as it's a true hiking path and doesn't lead along a street.

Miwa tree

Rice fields

In the woods again

View from close to the top...

...only a bit to go

The last temple for this trip!

Tea field on my way back

"Everybody you meet is your Great Teacher" (Great Teacher is posthumous title of Kukai, the founder of the buddhist school all those temple belong to.)

Down again, last time through the woods

Having reached the cost, this trip is at it's final point.


I decide to hitchhike again, at least until the next bus comes. Maybe because it's a more vivid city, I don't have success with my selfmade "Kan no Ura or direction of Tokushima" sign, so I take the bus. The bus crosses the city (from my point of view: heading back) but doesn't go much further. I get off at the last stop, far away from my destination. By chance I see another bus stop and curiously, I check it out. "Highway bus to Osaka"... This sounds like a comfortable plan!
Waiting for the bus I find all sorts of animals living in the cliffs. As soon as I'm in the bus, it starts to rain. The first time since I left Tokyo...

Finally civilization again! I take the Shinkansen to Tokyo and am catapulted into the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment